Sunday, March 20, 2011

Capirotada- Mexican Bread Pudding

Capirotada is traditionally eaten during Lent. 
Growing up, my mother made it during Holy Week.
Family would come over to enjoy their "favorite aunt's" bread pudding.

I never knew the religious side of it until I watched my mom make it.
  ...and asked her to give me "the recipe".

Here is my mother's recipe... if you are looking for exact measurements, 
you won't find them here!

Take close look at the "bandejas" (pots & pans) in the pictures.
They belonged to my 'mama' and my mother now has them... 
adding to the 60-70+ cooking years my grandmother put them through.

Toasted bread use any type

Oil heating in pan... notice handle is missing

Once bread is toasted, dip in hot oil.

Boil water and add brown sugar or Piloncillo (Mexican Brown Sugar). One stick of butter, cinnamon sticks and whole cloves

Cinnamon Sticks  represent our sins and the wood used to crucify Our Lord Jesus Christ and the Cloves- Nails used to nail Jesus to the Cross
Bread- The Body of Christ
Raisins-People you are praying for family, friends, government officials, enemies, etc

Brown Sugar mix- represents the Blood of Christ


Cheese- our connection with Jesus Christ's suffering and our own suffering

Nuts are the hardened hearts or bad habits we need to let go

Layer Bread & cheese

then pour brown sugar mixture between layers

repeat in layers until all ingredients are used

bake at 350 degrees for 2-3 hours

my mother and her Capirotada!


No comments: